If you are devastated with all the traffic and chaos of Tehran, and you think that the capital is only full of skyscrapers and cars, you are making a big mistake. Tehran has lots of natural attractions deep inside that lures tourists. One of these must-see natural attractions is Chitgar Forest Park. Yes, it’s virtual, but still, it definitely worths a nice evening to spend in it to walk, ride a bike or just have a picnic by the lake.

Chitgar Forest Park of Tehran - Tehran Attractions

History of Chitgar Forest Park

In 1968, within the first master plan of the city of Tehran, it was planned to construct a lake in western Tehran. But due to technical and budgetary constraints, the construction of the lake remained dormant for many years. From 2003 to 2010, some detailed studies were accomplished and the uncertainties of the plan were reviewed. Eventually, the construction of the lake area began in September 2010.

So prepare yourself for a nice picnic in this forest park, or wear your sneakers for a nice hike or walk. You can even rent bicycles and enjoy a nice ride. You can also use the metro to get to this park.(Tehran Nature)

All You Need to Know About Chitgar Park

Chitgar Park is a forest park situated in the western part of Tehran. It covers an area of about 1,450 hectares and includes ramps and facilities for cycling and skating. The complex has a total area of around 250 hectares; 130 hectares across the lake and 120 hectares on its coastal zone and resorts. This Forest Park is one of the largest parks of the metropolis which are irrigated by Kan Creek and Vardavard River.

Chitgar Forest Park of Tehran - Tehran Attractions

Chitgar Lake (Khalij-e Fars) – Artificial But Beautiful

Khalij-e Fars Lake is an artificial and recreational lake located in the north of Chitgar Park. About 80% of the body of water comes from Kan Creek, and the remaining 20% comes from central areas and surface runoffs of the district.

A Suitable Place for Athletes – Walk, Jog, Run, Cycle

Chitgar Forest Park of Tehran - Tehran Attractions

This lovely forested park has spectacular views of the city from its many trails and walkways. Those looking for even more variation in their running surfaces may enjoy exploring the many dirt trails throughout the forest. There is also a 5km cycling loop in the southeast part of the park – just be sure to keep an eye out for speeding cyclists. As an added bonus to any route, runners can head to the nearby National Botanical Garden of Iran to explore a collection of more than 160,000 plant species. We’ve mapped the two 5 km loops in the park, but there are opportunities for much longer runs as well.

Recommended Tours

Rate this post